Maze is a unique temporary Game Mode that works similarly to Free For All, replacing the now-removed Mothership mode. However, there are massive gray walls that are scattered around the arena, giving the arena the appearance of a maze. These walls are impenetrable by any Tanks or their Bullets/Traps/Drones. The minimap displays these walls accordingly, allowing you to find your way around.
The Scoreboard and leveling system is exactly like FFA. The goal of this mode also remains the same: be the player at the top of the Scoreboard, and avoid dying for as long as you can. The massive walls make survival significantly more difficult, as the player is easily able to be backed into a corner with no escape. Also, the player may be able to make "bases" with a Maze surrounding while sealing off the entrances with a Trapper or a member of the Trapper branch. Sometimes, the Pentagon Nest may be contained inside a Maze wall, with only one entrance, easily sealed off by Trappers. This can be exploited to have a huge Pentagon Nest with extreme numbers of Pentagons and Alpha Pentagons. A common strategy using this is to defend the Pentagon Nest, wait until there are the maximum amount of Pentagons and Alpha Pentagons, then destroy the Pentagon Nest for extreme amounts of EXP. Crashers will spawn less while defending the Pentagon Nest, possibly because there are so many Pentagons the Crashers are not able to spawn, as the Pentagons are all squeezed together. Large Crashers will be rare in these conditions, Small Crashers can be a nuisance while you are growing the Pentagon Nest, so an Auto Trapper is ideal as it is able to seal off the entrance and shoot Crashers at the same time.
Unlike other game modes, Bosses do not spawn in Maze. This may be because sometimes Bosses may run into walls or get trapped if they spawned, or they may even spawn IN the Maze wall, which would make the Boss unable to be killed, stopping more Bosses from spawning.
First of all, use the minimap to your advantage. Hide behind walls if need be, using them to protect you from heavy fire. Often there are cases where small "rooms" can be filled with a load of untouched polygons, so it would be in your best interest to search out for one of these. Otherwise, beware: it is incredibly easy to be backed into a wall by multiple enemies, and readily slaughtered, with exeptions to some tanks, such as Destroyer classes, as even at the highest levels, cornering one is a very risky move, because of the Destroyer's huge Bullet that can easily kill nearly any tank, combined with next to no room to dodge - a recipe for disaster. The most effective strategy in this mode is to use a build that allows you to easily corner other players. The classes that are the most effective are generally ramming builds and tanks inside the summoning class. Classes that spam Bullets with heavy damage are effective, although the barriers may block your Bullets. Such classes include Octo Tanks or the Triple Twin. In addition, using an Annihilator is the best tank to use in Maze, because like mentioned earlier in this paragraph, you can free yourself if you are cornered or Trapped by killing the enemies in a single hit. The enemies will eventually get hit in a very few tries as the Bullets are large and the closed in walls eliminate room to dodge a single hit. If there's enough room for the enemy, try adding high reload, Bullet speed, Bullet damage, and Bullet penetration as the enemy will get hit at some point or give up backing away from your tank learning that it is dangerous to corner or Trap it. If it doesn't learn and manages to try again, quickly escape by recoiling the other direction so you would speed you up. Go to a random safe path when the enemy is not looking, if the enemy is so, get further away and make sure that the enemy is off your screen then find a path to go before the enemy goes back on your screen.
Use the walls to your advantage if you are a Trapper class. Find a corner and build a wall of mines around it, creating a semi-permanent fort. However, this only works well if you can properly defend yourself, either as an Auto Trapper or Gunner Trapper. It is an overall risky strategy, since if multiple enemies come bearing down on you, you have no escape route but straight into the enemy.
Manager is very good in this mode too, as you can become invisible and control Drones. It states above that Drone-user classes are effective in Maze mode. Becoming invisible is another positive aspect making it impossible for anyone to see you when invisible. Being a Drone class may be difficult in this game mode, as Drones will die instantly on contact with a Maze wall.
Also, once you are leveled up, pay attention to your mini-map. There is often at least one area of the map the will have a variable-size room with 1 entrance. The less entrances and the more reasonable size it is, the better. Make sure to sweep any hostiles out of the area first. If a 1-entrance chamber cannot be found, go for something close (see mini-map above for reference). Trappers, as mentioned in the second paragraph, can seal off entrances and make a perfect temporary fort. The Gunner Trapper and Auto Trapper are ideal for doing this, as they can make their wall and attack any tanks that venture too close as well. Be careful when using the Gunner Trapper for this however, as the Gunner Cannons and the Medium Size Launcher are at opposite ends, so this can be difficult.
As this is also the game mode with the most/largest teams, ensure you have protocols to use against them. Teams can be a nuisance, they may use a base and have multiple players. Crowd control tanks work well, like the Octo Tank, Triple Twin, and Auto 5, ensuring teams will not be too much of a problem.
- This game mode was added on September 22nd, 2016, officially marking the removal of the Mothership Gamemode.
- Before September 23rd, crashers couldn't go through walls.
- On September 23rd, the walls were made "less sticky", which may have fixed some bugs.
- As of before, the Arena Closers could not go through the walls, which made it possible to survive their onslaught, at least until the server forcefully closed. Like the crashers, they can now go through walls.
- Since the 25th of September, 2016, the walls can kill Drones when a Drone touches the wall.
- 5 Hours after a Maze server starts, the Arena will close and the server will be reset.
- This is the first gamemode with any sort of complete physical barrier, other than the outside border.
- There is a glitch with this gamemode where most entities will disappear and the game will become unplayable.
- On September 23rd, the walls were made "less sticky", which may have fixed some of these issues.
- Maze was switched with Sandbox, in that you must disable adblock (and any tracking protection) before you are allowed to play. Also, any "tracking protection" in some browsers, like Firefox, had to be disabled as well.
- This now makes Maze the only game mode - in fact, the only feature in all of Diep.io - to be purposefully disabled for certain users.
- Like Free For All's August 6, 2016 update, kill notifications don't appear if you destroy a tank that is at least 20 Levels below your current Level.
- The leader arrow is not visible behind walls.
- There was a glitch that let the Drones of the Overseer and Manager (not verified if the Necromancer’s Drones could do this) freely go through walls.
- However since 25th September, 2016, the wall kills the Drones.
- There is a small chance of a Pentagon spawning inside the Pentagon Nest walls.
- As this Game Mode was released, something was changed in the properties of invisible map borders in the whole game, they now shake your tank if you try to move out of the map.
- A now fixed glitch, caused a tank to stick in the corner of two walls.
- Maze tends to be the the toughest game mode in terms of survival, newly joined players might find it very hard to avoid merciless deaths from higher level tanks. Teaming in the Maze became a common phenomenon as well. This has died down considerably.
- The walls are randomly generated.
- Sometimes because of this, a huge chunk of maze wall will take up the middle of the map, disabling most of the playable area and the Pentagon nest.
- This was the game mode that replaced Mothership.
This section contains bugs related to Maze. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
|Click to Show Bug List|
|Removed Game Modes|